Bremex Mountaineering & Climbing Club Under 18s Guidance
- Child protection is a rapidly changing subject, with stringent guidelines.
- Unaccompanied children under 18 would require the Club to adopt a Child Protection Policy, appoint a Child Protection Liaison Officer and carry out Criminal record Bureau (CRB) checks. In view of this the Club has decided that unaccompanied children cannot be accommodated on Club events.
- However, children aged 14 up to 18 years can join the Club and hold Junior membership, providing they are accompanied at all times by their parent/guardian or a nominated adult in ‘loco parentis.’
- A nominated adult must provide the Membership Secretary with written consent from the parent/guardian stating that they have read and accept the BMC participation statement and that they fully understand the risks involved in mountaineering and climbing activities.
- Children under the age of 14 years can accompany Club members on specified meets providing they are accompanied at all times by their parent/guardian and their accommodation is separate from other club members. They cannot become Club members and they cannot stay in huts used for Club meets.
- No club member, when acting in the capacity of a group organiser, leader or facilitator will be allowed to bring children to that event.
- Club members who are not the parent/guardian or adult in ‘loco parentis’ should be aware that where possible they should not be alone with an under 18 on Club events.